“All men and women are created equal”
Also called: Regular Guy, Everyman, Guy/Girl Next Door, Realist, Best Friend, Good Old Boy, Regular Jane, The Common Man, The Working Stiff, The Solid Citizen, The Good Neighbour
Core desire: Connection with others.
Goal: To belong, fit in.
Fears: Seeming to put on airs, standing out, being exiled or rejected as a result.
Strategy: Develop ordinary solid values, be down to earth, accessible, hardworking, nice.
Vulnerability: Could lack a distinctive identity and blend in too much
Gift: Realism, empathy, lack of pretence.
Marketing niche: Common touch, solid virtues, gives a sense of belonging.
Share your story about: Your normal life .
Example: Home Depot, eBay
Your customers feel: Understood, included, warm, trusting.
Your customers most fear: Exile, orphaning, abandonment, engulfment
The Friend is a good identity for brands
- Whose use helps people to belong or feel that they belong
- Whose function is something commonly used in everyday life
- With pricing that is moderate to low (or that is an upscale version of a product that would ordinarily be inexpensive)
- Produced or sold by a company with a down-home organisational culture and
- That want to differentiate themselves in a positive way from a higher priced or more elitist brand
Are you the Friend brand? How can you apply this character to your buildings, grounds and interiors? Take our quiz to find out!
Learn more about brand archetypes: