Visitor centres, whether they play the role of regional or specific location information, have always played a key role in linking tourists with the story of a place. They have been vital as a physical location where travellers can go for information and services.
Successful visitor centres have evolved to be hubs where the identity and soul of the place can be uncovered – they are welcoming of all visitors whether locals or tourists and have a culture of creating value for visitors rather than being purely transactional.
What are the key ingredients to a successful future for VICs?
- Transformation from a transaction-based centre (any website can perform a transaction) to a place where people can go to add true enrichment to their journey
- Shaped environments to improve subconscious comfort levels and foster connections and conversations.
- Decide what the one overarching reason people will come to the place should be and use it to immerse everyone in that story.
- An entrance that is simple, structured, easy to find and characteristic of the place.
- Add detail with smaller stories and displays that are revealed throughout the space.
- Some temptation and intrigue.
- A memorable exit point that reinforces the quality of the story and leaves you with a sense of closure but also anticipation for the visit ahead.
Have you downloaded our E-Book on Visitor Centre Design? Click here to get it now!